Practice Information

How Do I?

Telephone Advice

If you wish to have a telephone consultation, rather than a face to face consultation with the doctor or nurse, please let reception know and they can book you into an appropriate slot with the clinician. 

At any time of the day or night you can access help by calling the NHS service on 111.  You will be put through to a triage operator who will ask you some basic questions about your condition / concern and will arrange for either a nurse or doctor to call you back.

Alternatively, you can access help online by using the NHS Direct website.

Get a prescription

If you are on long term medication you will be provided with a computer generated repeat prescription slip.  This slip can be handed into the surgery using the repeat prescription box provided or posted enclosing a self addressed envelope.

You can order a prescription by registering on line ( please ask a receptionist for details).

Two clear working days are required for a repeat prescription. This is because it takes time to generate the large volume of prescriptions that are requested each day, then the doctor has to sign these the next day after their morning surgery. These prescriptions then have to be collated and sent to the appropriate places.

Please ensure you have adequate stocks of medication, we suggest re-ordering medication up to one week in advance. 

Requests for urgent prescriptions are put in the daily query book and dealt with by the Duty Doctor at the end of their morning surgery.  As you can understand, it is not possible for us to arrange a prescription to be immediately issued from the reception. 

We request that patients do not telephone through prescription requests unless they are dispensing patients phoning the dispensary, this reduces errors and relieves the telephone system for booking appointments and emergencies. Please consider our on line prescription request service.

Book an appointment

Appointments can be made by calling in at Dordon surgery, via the telephone (appointment line number 01827 330267) or via the NHS App or online booking system.  

A telephone triage system is also in place where the GPs will triage your symptoms and book appropriate necessary appointments.  

Some GP appointments are pre-bookable in advance, check using an online service. 

Nurse and Nursing Assistant appointments are bookable in advance, unfortunately due to the different natures of their clinics these are not all bookable via the online booking system.

Please remember an appointment is for one person only.

Contrary to popular belief the appointment system is not governed by the Receptionists.  The GP partners have agreed and put in place the appointment system where there are a set safe number of appointments per GP to book on the day, once all of these appointments have been booked the Receptionists can offer a telephone consultation; shared equally between each working GP; who will then discuss, treat, manage or clinically advise the patient as necessary.  The receptionists have no authority over the appointment system and cannot provide appointments that are simply not available. 

Obtain Home Visit

We encourage all patients to attend the surgery when possible, where we have proper equipment and facilities available and can do so much more than on a home visit.

If you are too ill to attend surgery a request for a house call should be made before 11:30 a.m. to allow doctors to plan their visiting. Please telephone 01827 892893 or get someone to call at the surgery. The dispenser will ask you in confidence about your illness to help the doctors decide priorities.

If you feel you need an urgent home visit after 11:30 am, i.e. after the home visits have been allocated to all the doctors,  the dispenser will arrange for you to speak to the duty doctor directly . If you wish for a particular doctor to visit, we will endeavour to accommodate this request, however, we cannot guarantee a particular doctor due to the volume of visits and large demographic area that we cover.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to offer routine home visits to patients who are not housebound.

Obtain test results

Patients will usually be informed by the GP via the administration team if there are any issues concerning any test result, however patients can request their results and we ask patients to telephone the surgery where the receptionists will add the patients details as a telephone consultation to the end of the Practice Nurses appointment list, when the Practice Nurse will contact the patient back and relay the required results. Please note that we can only give information out to the patient themselves or his/her parent or guardian if under 16 years of age without a signed consent from the patient

Obtain a self certification sick note SC2

Sickness Certificates

If you have an illness lasting seven days or less you do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate.  Your employer may require you to complete a self-certification form called an SC2 which is available from the HMRC website or you can click on the link below to download a form.     

Self certification sickness form SC2

If you are off work for more than seven days due to illness, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ‘Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note may help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (from where this information was sourced)

Update my records

It is the patients responsibility to inform the Practice of any change in personal details immediately to enable us to keep records up-to-date, this includes change of name, telephone/mobile number or address.

View or discuss my medical records in surgery

The NHS wants to give people better ways to see their personal health information online. We know that people want to be able to access their health records. It can help you see test results faster. It also lets you read and review notes from your appointments in your own time.

We’re now letting you see all the information within your health record automatically. If you are over 16 and have an online account, such as through the NHS AppNHS website, or another online primary care service, you will now be able to see all future notes and health records from your doctor (GP). Some people can already access this feature, this won’t change for you.

This means that you will be able to see notes from your appointments, as well as test results and any letters that are saved on your records. This only applies to records from your doctor (GP), not from hospitals or other specialists. You will only be able to see information from 11.10.2023. For most people, access will be automatic, and you won’t need to do anything.

Your doctor (GP) may talk to you to discuss test results before you are able to see some of your information on the app. Your doctor (GP) may also talk to you before your full records access is given to make sure that having access is of benefit to you. There might be some sensitive information on your record, so you should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

These changes only apply to people with online accounts. If you do not want an online account, you can still access your health records by requesting this information through reception. The changes also only apply to personal information about you. If you are a carer and would like to see information about someone you care for, speak to reception staff.

The NHS App, website and other online services are all very secure, so no one is able to access your information except you. You’ll need to make sure you protect your login details. Don’t share your password with anyone as they will then have access to your personal information.

View my Medical Records Online Detailed Coded Record Access

Applications must be made in person by the patient who is applying for this service.  A patient application for online services including medical records form is to be completed by each applicant requiring access and the application form must be returned in person with identity verification documents to enable identity verification.

Identity verification documents are required from the list of acceptable evidence listed below.  Two pieces of Level 3 evidence or one piece of level 3 evidence and one piece of Level 2 evidence.  In either case one piece of evidence must include a photograph.

Level 2 Identity EvidenceLevel 3 Identity Evidence
Firearm CertificatePassports that comply with ICAO 9303 (machine readable travel documents)
DBS Enhanced Disclosure CertificateHMG issued convention travel documentEEA/EU government issued identity cards that comply with council regulations (EC) No 2252/2004
 HMG issued stateless person documentNorthern Ireland Voters Card
HMG issued certificate of travelUS passport card
HMG issued certificate of identityRetail bank/credit union/building society current account
Birth certificateStudent loan account
Adoption certificateBank credit account (credit card)
UK asylum seekers Application Registration Card (ARC)Non-bank credit account
Unsecured personal loan account (excluding pay day loans)Bank savings account
National 60+ bus passBuy to let mortgage account
An education certificate gained from an educational institution regulated or administered by the Public Authority (e.g. GCSE, GCE, A Level, O Level)Digital tachograph card
An education certificate gained from a well recognised higher educational institutionArmed Forces ID card
Residential property rental or purchase agreementSecured loan account (including hire purchase)
Prrof of age card issued under the Proof Of Age Standards Scheme (containing a unique reference number)Mortgage account
Police warrant cardEEA/EU full driving licence that comply with Eurpean Directive 2006/126/EC
Freedom pass 
Marriage certificate 
Fire brigade ID card 
Non bank savings account 
Mobile telephone contract account 
Buildings insurance 
Contents insurance 
Vehicle insurance 

The completed application form and identity documents will then be passed to the administration team who will allocate a GP who will review the medical records and confirm an online account can be created.

Online Services Record Access Patient information leaflet ‘it’s your choice’

Being able to see your record online may help to manage your medical conditions.  It could also mean you may be able to access it from anywhere in the world should you require medical treatment while on holiday. 

You will be given login details, so you will need to think of a password which is unique to you.  This will ensure that only you are able to access your record – unless you choose to share your details with a family member or carer.

It will be your responsibility to keep your login details and password safe and secure.  If  you know or suspect that your record has been accessed by someone that you have not agreed should see it, then you should change your password immediately.

If you cannot do this for some reason, we recommend that you contact the practice so that they can remove online access until you are able to reset your password.

If you print out any information from your record, it is also your respobsibility to keep this secure.  If you are at all worried about keeping printed copies safe, we recommend that you do not make copies at all.

Before you apply for online access to your record, there are some other things to consider.

Although the chances of any of these things happening are very small, you will be asked that you have read and understood the following before you are given login details.

  • Forgotten history – There may be something you have forgotten about in your record that you might find upsetting.
  • Abnormal results or bad news – If your GP has given you access to test results or letters, you may see something that you find upsetting to you.  This may occur before you haver spoken to your doctor or while the surgery is closed and you cannot contact them.
  • Choosing to share your information with someone – It is up to you whether or not you share your information with others – perhaps family members or carers.  It is your choice but also your responsibility to keep the information safe and secure.
  • Coercion –  If you think you may be pressured into revealing details from our patient record to someone else against your will, it is best that you do not register for access at this time.
  • Misunderstood information – Your medical record is designed to be used by clinical professionals to ensure that you receive the best possible care.  Some of the information within your medical records may be highly technical, written by specialists and not easily understood.
  • Information about someone else – If you spot anything in the record that is not about you or notice any other errors, please log out of the system immediately and contact the practice as soon as possible.
Request Information

If you would like to see your records, please contact the surgery for advice.  Alternatively read our page about getting access to your medical records.

Comments and Suggestions

Our aim is to provide a good and efficient service to our patients. Should you wish to share your ideas of how to improve our service, or have a specific complaint to make, please address them to the doctor concerned or to our practice manager, who will be happy to help.

The Data Protection Act 1998 allows you to find out what information about you is held on computer and in certain manual records. This is known as “right of subject access.” It applies to your health records. If you want to see them you should make a written request to the NHS organisations where you are being, or have been, treated. You are entitled to receive a copy but should note that a charge will usually be made. You should also be aware that in certain circumstances your right to see some details in your health records may be limited in your own interest or for other reasons.

If you would like to know more about how we use your information or if, for any reason, you do not wish to have your information used in any of the ways described please speak to your doctor. 

Some of this information will be held centrally, but where this is used for statistical purposes, stringent measures are taken to ensure that individual patients cannot be identified. Anonymous statistical information may also be passed to organisations with
a legitimate interest, including universities, community safety units and research institutions. Where it is not possible to use anonymised information, personally identifiable information may be used for essential NHS purposes. These may include research and auditing services. This will only be done with your consent, unless the law requires information to be passed on to improve public health.

Everyone working for the NHS has a legal duty to keep information about you confidential

You may be receiving care from other organisations as well as the NHS (like Social Services). We may need to share some information about you so we can all work together for your benefit. We will only ever use or pass on information about you if others involved in your care have a genuine need for it. We will not disclose your information to third parties without your permission unless there are exceptional circumstances, such as when the health or safety of others is at risk or where the law requires information to be passed on.

Anyone who receives information from us is also under a legal duty to keep it confidential

We are required by law to report certain information to the appropriate authorities. This is only provided after formal permission has been given by a qualified health professional. Occasions when we must pass on information include:

  • notification of new births
  • where we encounter infectious diseases which may endanger the safety of others, such as Meningitis or measles (but not HIV/AIDS)
  • where a formal court order has been issued

Our guiding principle is that we are holding your records in strict confidence.

Register with the Practice

We are using a new online service called [] that makes it easy to register with this GP surgery.

Just fill in this quick online form to start the process. You do not need proof of address or immigration status, ID or an NHS number.

The service is designed and run by the NHS, so your personal information is safe. It cuts our administrative workload and makes it easier for you to register.

Paper forms are still available if you need one

Raise a medical emergency

Out of surgery hours

If you require urgent medical assistance when the surgery is closed and cannot wait until the surgery re-opens then call 1-1-1.  Calls to the NHS 111 service are free from both landlines and mobiles.

If you have a life threatening medical emergency please dial 999.

NHS Direct is also available for advice on 0845 4647 or

Have my say

The doctors welcome patients’ comments or suggestions, which should be made in writing to the practice manager, posted in the suggestion box available in the surgery waiting room or alternatively patients can contact the patient participation group of which details are listed in the waiting room at Dordon surgery.

Register my carers details

Do you look after someone who is ill, frail, disabled or mentally ill? If so, you are a carer, regardless of your age.  The Practice is interested in identifying carers, especially those people who may be caring without help or support.  We know that carers are often “hidden” looking after a family member or helping a friend or neighbour with day to day tasks and may not see themselves as a carer.

We feel that caring for someone is an important and valuable role in the community, which is often a 24-hour job that can be very demanding and isolating for the carer.  We further believe carers should receive appropriate support by way of access to accurate information on a range of topics such as entitlement to benefits and respite care and not least, a listening ear when things get too much.

As a Carer, you are also entitled to have your needs assessed by Social Services. The Assessment is a chance to talk about your needs as a Carer and the possible ways help could be given. It also looks at the needs of the person you care for.

Please complete the carers form in the Do it online section of this website and submit your information online or at your next visit to the surgery inform the reception staff who will complete the form with you. 

Contact IAPT


For people who are feeling stressed, anxious, low in mood or depressed.

Find helpful resources, self help booklets, audioguides, computerised cognitive behavioural therapy, psychoeducation courses and much more.

Telephone number: 024 7667 1090

Address: IAPT, Central Booking Service, City of Coventry Health Centre, Paybody Building, 2 Stoney Stanton Road, Coventry, CV1 4FS


Twitter: @CWPT_IAPT


Register a death

What to do after someone dies

1. Overview

There are 3 things you must do in the first few days after someone dies.

  1. Get a medical certificate from a GP or hospital doctor. You’ll need this to register the death.
  2. Register the death within 5 days (8 days in Scotland). You’ll then get the documents you need for the funeral.
  3. Arrange the funeral – you can use a funeral director or arrange it yourself.

You may be able to use the Tell Us Once service to report a death to most government organisations in one go.

You don’t need to deal with the will, money and property straight away.

2. Register the death

If the death has been reported to a coroner (Procurator Fiscal in Scotland) you can’t register the death until the coroner gives permission.

Otherwise use the register a death tool to find out if you can register the death yourself and to see what you need to do.

3. When a death is reported to a coroner

A doctor may report the death to a coroner if the:

  • cause of death is unknown
  • death was violent or unnatural
  • death was sudden and unexplained
  • person who died was not visited by a medical practitioner during their final illness
  • medical certificate isn’t available
  • person who died wasn’t seen by the doctor who signed the medical certificate within 14 days before death or after they died
  • death occurred during an operation or before the person came out of anaesthetic
  • medical certificate suggests the death may have been caused by an industrial disease or industrial poisoning

The coroner may decide that the cause of death is clear. In this case:

  1. The doctor signs a medical certificate.
  2. You take the medical certificate to the registrar.
  3. The coroner issues a certificate to the registrar stating a post-mortem isn’t needed.


The coroner may decide a post-mortem is needed to find out how the person died. This can be done either in a hospital or mortuary.

You can’t object to a coroner’s post-mortem – but if you’ve asked the coroner must tell you (and the person’s GP) when and where the examination will take place.

After the post-mortem

The coroner will release the body for a funeral once they have completed the post-mortem examinations and no further examinations are needed.

If the body is released with no inquest, the coroner will send a form (‘Pink Form – form 100B’) to the registrar stating the cause of death.

The coroner will also send a ‘Certificate of Coroner – form Cremation 6’ if the body is to be cremated.

If the coroner decides to hold an inquest

A coroner must hold an inquest if the cause of death is still unknown, or if the person:

  • possibly died a violent or unnatural death
  • died in prison or police custody

You can’t register the death until after the inquest. The coroner is responsible for sending the relevant paperwork to the registrar.

The death can’t be registered until after the inquest, but the coroner can give you an interim death certificate to prove the person is dead. You can use this to let organisations know of the death and apply for probate.

When the inquest is over the coroner will tell the registrar what to put in the register.

4. Arrange the funeral

The funeral can usually only take place after the death is registered. Most people use a funeral director, though you can arrange a funeral yourself.

Funeral directors

Choose a funeral director who’s a member of one of the following:

These organisations have codes of practice – they must give you a price list when asked.

Some local councils run their own funeral services, for example for non-religious burials. The British Humanist Association can also help with non-religious funerals.

Arranging the funeral yourself

Contact the Cemeteries and Crematorium Department of your local council to arrange a funeral yourself.

Funeral costs

Funeral costs can include:

  • funeral director fees
  • things the funeral director pays for on your behalf (called ‘disbursements’ or ‘third-party costs’), for example crematorium or cemetery fees, or a newspaper announcement about the death
  • local authority burial or cremation fees

Funeral directors may list all these costs in their quote.

Paying for a funeral

The funeral can be paid for:

  • from a financial scheme the person had, for example a pre-paid funeral plan or insurance policy
  • by you, or other family members or friends
  • with money from the person’s estate (savings, for example) – getting access to this is called applying for a ‘grant of representation’ (sometimes called ‘applying for probate’)

You can apply for a Funeral Payment if you have difficulty paying for the funeral.

Moving a body for a funeral abroad

You need permission from a coroner to move a body for a funeral abroad. Apply at least 4 days before you want the body to be moved.

Find a local coroner using the Coroners’ Society of England and Wales website.

There is a different process in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

5. Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.

When you register the death the registrar will:

  • let you know if the service is available in your area
  • give you the phone number
  • give you a unique reference number to use the Tell Us Once service onlineor by phone

Before you use Tell Us Once

You’ll need the following details of the person who died:

  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • vehicle registration number
  • passport number

You’ll also need:

  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, for example State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, for example Blue Badge
  • the name and address of their next of kin
  • the name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to

You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died, before you give their details.

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – to cancel benefits, for example Income Support
  • Passport Office – to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) – to cancel a driving licence and to remove the person as the keeper for up to 5 vehicles
  • the local council – to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • public sector or armed forces pension schemes – to stop pension payments

There’s a different process to update property records if the person who died owns land or property.

If Tell Us Once isn’t available

You’ll have to let the relevant organisations know about the death yourself if:

The Tell Us Once service isn’t available in Northern Ireland or the following local authorities:

  • Brighton and Hove
  • Croydon
  • East Sussex
  • Eastbourne
  • Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Harrow
  • Hastings
  • Lewes
  • Liverpool
  • Manchester
  • Medway
  • Rother
  • Wealden

Banks and other financial organisations

Contact the person’s bank or mortgage, pension or insurance providers to close or change the details of their accounts.

6. Dealing with tax and benefits

If you used the Tell Us Once service, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) should contact you about the tax, benefits and entitlements of the person who died.

Who to contact

Contact the following organisations if you didn’t use the Tell Us Once service.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

Contact HMRC, who will work out whether the right amount of tax has been paid by the person who died. They’ll let you know:

  • what tax they need to collect or repay
  • whether you need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return on the person’s behalf, for example when the estate continues to receive income

You can also use HMRC’s bereavement tool to work out which forms to fill in and where to send them.

Inheritance Tax may be due on the person’s estate after they die.

National Insurance (NI) Contributions Office

Contact the NI Contributions Office to cancel the person’s NI payments if they were self-employed or paying voluntary NI.

Child Benefit Office

Contact the Child Benefit Office if a child or the parent dies. You need to do this within 8 weeks of the death.

Tax Credit Office

Contact the Tax Credit Office if your partner or a child you’re responsible for dies. You need to do this within 1 month of the death.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Contact the bereavement service to cancel the person’s benefits and entitlements, including their State Pension. They’ll also check if you’re eligible for help with funeral costs or other benefits.

DWP Bereavement Service
Telephone: 0345 606 0265
Textphone: 0345 606 0285
Welsh language: 0345 606 0275 
Find out about call charges

Personal, workplace and armed forces pensions

What you need to do to stop pension payments will depend on the type of pension.

Use the Pension Tracing Service to find details of the person’s personal or workplace pension.

Contact Veterans UK if the person had an armed forces pension.

Grant of representation (‘probate’)

You may be able to apply for a grant of representation. This gives you the legal right to deal with the person’s property, money and possessions (their ‘estate’) – known as ‘probate’.

This process is called ‘confirmation’ in Scotland.

Getting help

Contact HMRC for help and advice about dealing with tax after someone dies, or you can hire a professional.

You may be able to get free tax advice if you’re on a low income.

7. What to do if a child or baby dies

You must register the death in the normal way, but you may also need to report the death of a child to other organisations depending on your circumstances.

Child Benefit

You should tell the Child Benefit Office as soon as possible if you’re claiming Child Benefit.

Child Benefit payments will usually carry on for 8 weeks after a child’s death.

You may still be able to claim Child Benefit if your child died before you made a claim.

If a newborn baby dies

You’re entitled to up to 8 weeks of Child Benefit if you claim within 3 months of the death.

If the child died before the end of the week they were born in, the 8 weeks starts from the Monday following the death.

If a child is stillborn

You can’t claim Child Benefit if the child’s stillborn.

Tax credits

If you’re claiming tax credits and your child dies, your payments may change. You’ll need to tell the Tax Credit Office within 1 month of the death. If you don’t, you might:

  • have to pay back overpayments
  • not get all the money you’re owed

You can continue to get tax credits for up to 8 weeks following the death.

If the child died before you claimed tax credits, you can still claim (unless the child was stillborn). Call the tax credits helpline to get a claim form.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

You can still get the grant if you qualify. You must make a claim within 3 months of the birth.

Maternity and paternity leave and pay

You’ll still qualify for leave and pay if your baby:

  • is stillborn after the start of the 24th week of pregnancy
  • dies after being born

Child Trust Fund payments

When a child dies, any money in their Child Trust Fund account – including any payments from the government – usually passes to whoever inherits the child’s estate.

8. Death abroad

You must register a death with the local authorities in the country where the person died.

In many countries you can also register the death with the UK authorities.

Contact the International Pension Centre if the person was getting a pension or other benefits.

You can use Tell Us Once if the person died in:

Find out more about coping with a death abroad.

There are different rules for bringing the person’s remains home, depending on whether you:

  • bring the body home for burial or cremation
  • have the person cremated abroad and bring their ashes home

These rules apply to England and Wales. There are different processes for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Bringing the body home

To bring the body home you must:

  • get a certified English translation of the death certificate
  • get permission to remove the body, issued by a coroner (or equivalent) in the country where the person died
  • tell a coroner in England if the death was violent or unnatural

Ask for advice from the British consulate, embassy or high commission in the country where the person died.

Contact a register office

Once the body is home, take the death certificate to the register office in the area where the funeral is taking place.

As the death has already been registered abroad, the registrar will give you a ‘certificate of no liability to register’. Give this to the funeral director so the funeral can go ahead.

If you’re arranging the funeral yourself, give the certificate back to the registrar after the funeral’s taken place. You must do this within 96 hours of the funeral.

When a coroner will be involved

A coroner will usually hold an inquest in England or Wales if the cause of death is unknown or if it was sudden, violent or unnatural.

You need a certificate from the coroner (form ‘Cremation 6’) if the person is to be cremated.

Bringing ashes home

When leaving a country with human ashes you will normally need to show:

  • the death certificate
  • the certificate of cremation

Each country has its own rules about departing with human ashes and there may be additional requirements. Contact the country’s British consulate, embassy or high commission for advice. You’ll need to fill in a standard customs form when you arrive home.

Contact your airline to find out whether you can carry the ashes as hand luggage or as checked-in luggage. They may ask you to put the ashes in a non-metallic container so that they can be x-rayed.

You shouldn’t have the person cremated abroad if you want a coroner at home to conduct an inquest into their death.